Art Basel Miami Beach, one of the most prominent art events in the world, is returning from December 6 to 10, 2023. With a total of 277 participating galleries, including 25 newcomers, Art Basel Miami Beach guarantees an enthralling celebration of artistic expression, cultural richness, lots of parties and celebrity sightings. Before we get into the guide, lets go over some figures.
With record breaking sales for record-breaking Miami mansions, what artworks will top sales this year? In 2022, some of the most expensive artwork sold include:
- Andy Warhol's Flowers (1964) sold for $3.8 million
- Agnes Martin's Untitled #14 (1998) fetched $7 million
- A Keith Haring tarp painting from 1981 sold for $4.5 million.
- A David Hammons piece traded for $3.8 million,
- Kerry James Marshall's We Mourn Our Loss #2 (1997) was sold for $2.8 million.
But, these numbers pale in comparison to the record-shattering purchase made by none other than Ken Griffin. In 2015, he made history in 2015 by spending $500 million in one sale when he bought David Geffen’s Willem de Kooning Interchange for $300 million and Jackson Pollock’s Number 17A for $200 million.
With titans of industry like Ken Griffin, Jeff Bezos and other hedge fund heavy hitters flocking to Miami, is it possible that art sold during Art Basel 2023 will top all charts? Who will be seen and what will they buy? Stay connected with us to get the buzz.
Private Days: First Choice, Preview VIP & Vernissage
Art Basel Miami Beach kicks off with two days of private viewings on December 6 and 7. The first day is reserved for First Choice VIP guests, who will have the opportunity to explore the diverse range of artworks on display from 11 am to 7 pm. On the same day, from 4 pm to 7 pm, Preview VIP guests will also have the chance to discover the exceptional pieces showcased at the event. December 7 continues the private viewings, welcoming First Choice and Preview VIP guests from 11 am to 7 pm, followed by Vernissage VIP guests from 4 pm to 7 pm.
Public Days: A Feast for Art Enthusiasts
From December 8 to 10, Art Basel Miami Beach opens its doors to the public, offering a unique opportunity for art enthusiasts to immerse themselves in the vibrant world of contemporary art. Each day, from 11 am to 6 pm, visitors can explore the vast array of artworks, installations, and exhibitions that showcase the latest trends and innovations in the art world.
The Main Sectors: A Journey Through Artistic Expression
Art Basel Miami Beach is organized into several main sectors, each offering a distinct and captivating experience for visitors. Let's explore these sectors and get a glimpse of what to expect at this year's event.
Galleries: The Epitome of Artistic Excellence
Galleries form the main section of Art Basel Miami Beach, where the world's leading galleries present an exquisite selection of paintings, sculptures, drawings, installations, photography, videos, and digital works. This year, visitors can look forward to never-before-seen works by renowned artists such as Leonor Fini, an Argentinian Italian surrealist, and an homage to the influential Brockman Gallery, coorganized by Parrasch Heijnen Gallery and Franklin Parrasch Gallery.
Meridians: Pushing Boundaries and Redefining Space
Meridians is a dedicated section that showcases large-scale sculptures, paintings, and installations that go beyond the traditional art fair booth layout. Curated by Magalí Arriola, this year's Meridians will feature 19 projects, including site-specific works created exclusively for Art Basel Miami Beach. Prepare to be captivated by innovative and thought-provoking artworks that challenge traditional notions of space and art.
Kabinett: Curated Exhibitions within Galleries
Kabinett provides galleries with the opportunity to present curated exhibitions within their main booths. With 28 installations, this section offers a unique and intimate experience for visitors, where they can delve deeper into the artistic vision of each gallery. Expect to encounter immersive installations, thematic exhibitions, and curated presentations that showcase the diversity and creativity of contemporary art.
Nova: Discovering Emerging Talents
Nova is a space dedicated to galleries presenting new works by up to three emerging artists. Here, visitors can discover the next generation of artistic talents and witness their fresh perspectives and innovative approaches. From never-before-exhibited sculptures by Puerto Rican artist Daniel Lind-Ramos to new paintings by Egyptian artist Basim Magdy, Nova offers a glimpse into the future of the art world.
Positions: Unveiling Solo Presentations
Positions is a sector that allows young galleries to showcase solo presentations by emerging voices in the art world. This year, Galatea from Rio de Janeiro will exhibit a new photo series by Brazilian artist Allan Weber, known for his captivating depictions of everyday life in Rio de Janeiro's favelas. Additionally, Dürst Britt & Mayhew, the first Dutch gallery to participate in Art Basel Miami Beach, will present new works by Mexican artist Alejandra Venegas, hand-carved on native wood.
Survey: Exploring Artistic Practices of Historical Relevance
Survey is a dedicated sector for galleries to showcase artistic practices of historical relevance. This year, visitors can expect solo presentations of American artist and activist Karen Finley, known for her interactive installation at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles, and American artist Vivian Browne, whose "Africa Series" paintings from the 1970s will be on display. Survey provides a unique opportunity to explore the rich history of art and its lasting impact on contemporary practices.
Conversations: Engaging Discourse and Thought Leadership
Conversations are a series of live debates among artists, gallerists, collectors, curators, museum directors, and critics. From December 7 to 9, visitors can attend nine panels curated by Emily Butler, featuring 35 thought leaders celebrating Latin America. These discussions will delve into topics such as Afro-Latino and feminist histories, the artistic ecologies of Florida, and other relevant issues in 2023. The conversations will be live-streamed on Facebook and recorded for wider accessibility.
Satellite Fairs: Exploring Diverse Artistic Expressions
In addition to Art Basel Miami Beach, several satellite fairs and events take place simultaneously, offering visitors even more opportunities to explore diverse artistic expressions. Let's take a closer look at some of these satellite fairs:
- AfriKin Art Fair: A celebration of contemporary African and Caribbean art, showcasing the works of both established and emerging artists. This fair aims to foster cultural exchange and create a global platform for African and Caribbean art.
- Aqua Art Miami: Held at the Aqua Hotel, this fair highlights innovative artwork from both emerging and mid-career artists. It provides a more intimate setting for art enthusiasts to engage with the artists and their creations.
- CONTEXT Art Miami: A sister fair to Art Miami, CONTEXT Art Miami focuses on the development and reinforcement of emerging and mid-career artists. It offers a platform for galleries to showcase their artists' works in a curated setting.
- Fridge Art Fair: Held at the Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, Fridge Art Fair presents an eclectic mix of contemporary art, highlighting artists who challenge traditional boundaries. This fair embraces artistic diversity and encourages free expression.
- INK MIAMI Art Fair: Located at the Suites of Dorchester, INK MIAMI Art Fair specializes in modern and contemporary works on paper. It showcases a wide range of artistic techniques and styles, celebrating the versatility of the medium.
- NADA Miami Art Fair: Taking place at Ice Palace Studios, NADA Miami Art Fair focuses on showcasing emerging artists and new art movements. It presents a diverse range of contemporary artworks, fostering a dialogue between artists, collectors, and curators.
- No Vacancy, Miami Beach: Held at 12 different hotels in Miami Beach, No Vacancy offers a unique opportunity for visitors to experience art in unconventional spaces. This fair transforms hotel rooms into art installations, creating an immersive and intimate setting.
- photoMIAMI: A pop-up event featuring photography and artwork exhibits, artist and photographer talks, seminars, presentations, and more. It provides a platform for photography enthusiasts to engage with captivating visual narratives.
- Pinta Miami: Located at The Hangar in Coconut Grove, Pinta Miami showcases Latin American art, with a particular emphasis on contemporary and modern works. This fair aims to promote Latin American artists and their contributions to the art world.
- Prizm Art Fair: Situated in Downtown Miami, Prizm Art Fair focuses on contemporary art from the African diaspora. It showcases a diverse range of artists and their unique perspectives, fostering cultural exchange and dialogue.
- Red Dot Miami: Taking place at Mana Wynwood, Red Dot Miami features a curated selection of contemporary art from galleries around the world. This fair provides a platform for artists and collectors to connect and engage with each other's work.
- Satellite Art Fair: Located at 700 Lincoln Road, Satellite Art Fair showcases innovative and cutting-edge contemporary art. It offers a platform for emerging artists and galleries to showcase their work in a vibrant and dynamic environment.
- Scope Miami Beach: Situated at 801 Ocean Drive, Scope Miami Beach celebrates the best of contemporary art, featuring works from both established and emerging artists. This fair showcases a diverse range of artistic styles and mediums.
- Spectrum Miami: Also located at Mana Wynwood, Spectrum Miami focuses on bringing together galleries, artists, and collectors in a vibrant and inclusive environment. It provides a platform for artists to showcase their work and connect with a global audience.
- Untitled: Untitled Art is the preeminent art fair that occurs yearly on the shores of Miami Beach. With a commitment to fostering the broader art community, Untitled Art provides an all-encompassing platform for exploring modern art and places great emphasis on cooperation throughout every facet of the fair.
Art Basel Miami Beach and its satellite fairs offer an unparalleled opportunity to engage with the world of contemporary art. Whether you are a seasoned collector, an art enthusiast, or simply curious about artistic expressions, this event is not to be missed. Immerse yourself in the creative energy, explore diverse perspectives, and discover the transformative power of art at Art Basel Miami Beach 2023.